2/13/12

On A Serious Note...

A few weeks ago I got an email from Jackie telling me that she would love to write an article for the blog. She wrote her feeling about the effects cancer has on women emotionally. I was so touched and wholeheartedly said YES! I am so pleased to have this article on Classy and pray that no matter your circumstances you can feel beautiful. You can feel of your self worth and know that you are loved. When we love others we cannot help but radiate light and beauty. I love you all and hope that you are well, but if you are struggling in any way shape or form, I hope to help in some small way by bringing you this wonderful article. It is cancer specific but can be related to so many issues we as women have. I hope you find this encouraging and that you feel you can share it with the special, classy women in your life =).
Jen

The Benefits of Makeup While Fighting Cancer
By:  Jackie Clark
My name is Jackie and I do outreach for the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance, a leading web resource for mesothelioma cancer.I have always had a passion for fashion-from shoes to makeup, nail polish to handbags, and everything in between! Coupled with that is belief that all women need to feel beautiful, no matter what circumstances they may be facing. Women are powerful beings and WE need to realize it! Sadly, many women are hearing those devastating words 'you have cancer.' Despite a cancer diagnosis, women can still feel beautiful in their own skin. Fashion is a wonderful way to feel strong and confident. I would like to share with your audience the reality of cancer and how women can say 'YES I have cancer', but I am no less beautiful than I was before my diagnosis.
 Receiving a diagnosis of cancer can be devastating and can throw your life off-course. Whether you've been diagnosed with mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure or have another form of cancer, such as breast cancer or stomach cancer, living and dealing with cancer takes precedence over everything else. Fatigue and side effects caused by cancer treatment can leave you with little energy to do much of anything, including putting on makeup. But even a light application of makeup can provide you with benefits that go beyond your appearance. Feeling and looking beautiful truly can help you as you battle cancer. Here are a few ways in which it can be beneficial.


 Add Color/Enhance Appearance

 
Nausea and tiredness can drain the color out of your skin and contribute toward skin dryness. By smoothing on moisture and applying a sheer, tinted foundation you can add a healthy amount of color to your complexion. A swipe of bronzer or blusher across your cheekbones and down the center of your nose adds to the natural-looking glow.


 Mental Boost

 
When you look better, you feel better. Your efforts to apply makeup...whether your normal makeup or something new...give you an inner boost that can help relieve stress and depression. It may not seem like makeup can have such a big effect, but it can help you feel much better about yourself while improving self-confidence.


 Feel Empowered


Feeling better on the inside provides you with a feeling of empowerment and this is vital to your fight against cancer. When you look good and feel good, your confidence is boosted and you feel better able to handle things coming your way.

 
 Have Fun
 

Experimenting with new makeup can distract you from concerns and difficulties faced during cancer treatment and provide some much-needed and deserved fun. Trying a new color of lipstick or eye shadow is a positive way to spend time and can help you feel beautiful and refreshed.


 Social Life


When cancer treatment side effects set in the social life is often one of the first things to go. A makeup party or trip to the local department store makeup counter with your friends allows you to enjoy some social time with people who care while taking your mind off of cancer for a while.

Organic or naturally made makeup is a terrific option because it doesn't introduce further chemicals to the body. Experiment with different types of makeup to find the type, amount and applications that suit you best. Pamper yourself by having your makeup done by a professional or at a makeup counter. By taking care of yourself and focusing on beauty rather than illness you can feel that you are putting yourself first, rather than allowing the cancer to take first place.
Giveaway!!!
Thank you so much Jackie!!! In honor of this post I would like to give away a wonderfully important book from Stacy Malkan. I was able to meet Stacy and talk about her book and was SO surprised to hear about her research. I knew some of the things I was putting on myself weren't the safest but I didn't care a great deal =(. After reading her eye opening book I am convinced that I can do better! I think it's a perfect book to giveaway alongside this article. We need to take care of ourselves inside and out and be informed of what we put inside our bodies and what we use topically! Will I be perfect from here on out, probably not. Will anyone??? I will strive to be better everyday and do my homework. I love my copy and want you to have one too! Please leave a comment below telling us your experience with cancer, loss, triumphs and dreams. You must be a follower, as always =). A winner will be chosen using random.org Friday the 17th at 12pm MST and then announced on Saturday.

1 comment:

Sarah Bonn said...

I think Jackie's tips are great for all women suffering from illness, but especially those with children (or grandchildren). My grandmother kept a comb, a powder compact and lipstick on her bedside table and wore a nice bed jacket. It made it seem more like a visit with grandma than a visit with some one ill - for both of us I think.

I'm like you, I sort of know some of the things in make up aren't great, but I don't know what they are or how to find alternatives that work well.